Frequently Asked Questions for the Personnel Records Unit

Are you looking for the service number of a former service person?

If so, you must contact Library and Archives Canada by telephone to speak with an analyst from the Personnel Records Unit. The toll-free numbers are 1-866-578-7777 or Service Canada at 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232).

The Personnel Records Analyst will ask you to provide the full name and date of birth of the former service person. Most military service numbers can be released over the telephone. However, service numbers issued after February 1, 1968, remain protected and are not provided or confirmed over the telephone.

To learn more about ordering this type of record, read the Library and Archives Canada Blog post – How to Order Military Records from the Personnel Records Unit.

Which documents are needed to receive benefits?

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) is the department that administers services and benefits to former military service personnel and their families.  Since numerous services and benefits are available, VAC may require a variety of documents to determine eligibility requirements.

With respect to benefit applications, Library and Archives Canada can assist in providing copies of the required documents from the military personnel records of former service personnel.

Questions or comments? We would love to hear from you!

2 thoughts on “Frequently Asked Questions for the Personnel Records Unit

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.