How to Order Military Records from the Personnel Records Unit

The Personnel Records Unit at Library and Archives Canada manages all Canadian military service files from 1919–1998 for Regular members, and until 2007 for Reserve members. These files have some access restrictions, which means that not everyone can view them because they are protected by the provisions of privacy legislation. Each file contains an individual’s personal information and details of employment history.

If you are interested in receiving your own or another individual’s record, please read and follow the steps in the Application for Military Service Information form. You must submit this form only if you wish to receive a military service file from 1919–1997, including those files of soldiers from the Second World War (not killed in action).

You can also request a Genealogy Package to receive military records of soldiers from the Second World War (killed in action). The package includes copies of selected documents from the file that highlight and summarize an individual’s service, including enlistment, units served, family details, etc. Your request must include the name, service number, archival reference and volume number, which you can find by searching the Second World War Service Files: Canadian Armed Forces War Dead database.

Requests for a Genealogy Package can be submitted online via the Genealogy Inquiry Form or by mail or fax to:

ATIP and Personnel Records Division
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0N4
Fax: 613-947-8456

Lastly, to order military records from the First World War, please consult our past blog post entitled “Canadians and the First World War”.

Questions, comments or feedback? We would love to hear from you!

Summary of comments received in French up to September 30th, 2013

Summary of comments received in French between April 1, 2014 and June 30, 2014

  • An elderly client requests some assistance looking for their father’s service file of the First World War.

35 thoughts on “How to Order Military Records from the Personnel Records Unit

  1. Pingback: Understand the Abbreviations Commonly Found in Military Service Files « Library and Archives Canada Blog

  2. Pingback: Frequently Asked Questions for the Personnel Records Unit « Library and Archives Canada Blog

  3. Hello, my name is Tim Hook, and earlier I sent in a request for retrieval of information and military service records for Elmer Victor Hook, WW2 tank driver, member of the South Alberta Tank regiment. The file # you sent back to me is PRA-2011-09925. Understandably, you folks are quite busy and I appreciate that, you do fine work. Could you please give me an update as to whether or not my earlier request is still on file and if progress has been started on the research and retrieval? I am trying to formulate a biographical sketch of my uncle for the South Alberta Regiment Veterans Assoc., and I would sincerely appreciate a copy of the full file on him. Cost is not an issue and your help would be greatly apprecited. Sincerely, kind regards, Tim Hook

    • Thank you for your question. We will contact you directly by e-mail with more information. In the meantime, should you wish to speak with someone directly, we invite you to contact us by telephone at 613-996-5115 or 1-866-578-7777 (toll-free in Canada and the US).

  4. Pingback: From Enlistment to Burial Records: The Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War | Library and Archives Canada Blog

  5. How much is a genealogy package for someone who died in WWII? I think I read somewhere that they were around $25 but now I can’t find a cost.

  6. Pingback: From Enlistment to Burial Records Part II: The Canadian Forces in the Second World War | Library and Archives Canada Blog

  7. Pingback: Home Children (Part II)—Edward Brignall | Library and Archives Canada Blog

  8. Once I fill out the application for information form is a copy of the info mailed to me or can I go to the LAC to view the documents myself?

    • Hello, it depends on what information you are requesting. Someone will respond to you by email shortly. In the meantime, should you wish to speak with someone directly, we invite you to contact us by telephone at 613-996-5115 or 1-866-578-7777 (toll-free in Canada and the US).

  9. We filled out application for military service info, World War 2 Hilton John Warner C37595 4PLDG and signed 19 Feb 15 and forwarded by mail. Were we to receive a file number?? Do you know the status of this request

  10. I have been trying to get a copy of my Military records for my service from Oct 1961 to Dec 1998. I have tried multi web sites under the library and Archives Canada but cannot get into site where I can get access or even a place to send my name to get these records. There was one site that did ask for my full name and when I submitted the information it came back as to such person served in the Canadian Military. I find your systems very confusing and not user friendly. It is very important that I receive copies of my service records as I have a requirement for the information in relation to my present employment. If there is anything you can do to assist me in this request it would be greatly appreciated.

    • Hello Mr. Pierog,
      The ordering of a service file is a complex process, that is governed by privacy laws and is dependent on different types of situations and dates. We regret that it has been such a difficult process for you. As explained on this page (, because you were discharged from the military in December 1998, you must still contact the Department of National Defence to obtain a copy of your service file as it has not yet been transferred to Library and Archives Canada.

      You may contact the DND Directorate of Military Careers Administration at 1-866-240-6726.

      Good luck in your search.

  11. Hi, I am trying to figure out how to supply proof of my relationship to get records for my grandfather’s military service. Obviously none of my records are going to have his name on them. I’m really unsure as to how to connect our relationship. Please help!

  12. I need to have proof of service of my late father, William Ernest Adams, who served in the 1st anti tank regiment, 57th bt, of the RCA in WW2. Can you please help?

  13. Hellow, I am Abdul Waheed from Pakistan, my father named Khalil ur Rehman
    I need to have proof of service of my late father, Khalil ur Rehman, who served in the in WW 2. Can you please help me ?

  14. Pingback: Oatmeal Rag Issue 37 • The QOCHC

  15. Pingback: Oatmeal Rag Issue 36 • The QOCHC

  16. Pingback: Oatmeal Rag Issue 35 • The QOCHC

  17. Pingback: Oatmeal Rag Issue 34 • The QOCHC

  18. Pingback: Oatmeal Rag Issue 33 • The QOCHC

  19. Pingback: Oatmeal Rag Issue 39 • The QOCHC

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.