On December 18, 2012, Library and Archives Canada (LAC) announced the upcoming deployment of a series of 15 databases on Canadian census returns. Following the online publication of the 1861 Census returns database a few weeks ago, LAC is proud to report: mission accomplished!
Now, using the LAC website, it is possible to consult nominal indexes for census returns from 1825 to 1916. That is a total of more than 32 million documents. Moreover, all these indexes are available at no cost!
This massive undertaking required continuous cooperation from members of a number of LAC teams, as well as highly organized operations, over a number of
What is the final result?
- A clear presentation that is consistent with the Government of Canada’s Internet accessibility standards.
- The ability to perform a search using nominal or geographical criteria.
- Standardized geographic metadata that is now available in both official languages.
- The ability to choose between images in JPG or PDF formats.
- The ability to suggest corrections.
- Weekly automatic updates.
And, ultimately, for you, valued users, a much simpler and easier way to trace your ancestors!
Questions or comments? We would love to hear from you!