Canadian surgeon Lucille Teasdale first met Italian doctor Piero Corti at Saint Justine’s hospital in Montréal in 1955 while completing an internship. Both doctors dreamed of providing medical assistance to people in developing nations and Piero was immediately drawn to Lucille’s dedication to her profession. After parting ways, Piero and Lucille reconnected in Marseille, France. There, Piero shared his dream of developing a small clinic in Uganda into a world-class hospital, eventually convincing Lucille to join him. The couple were married in Gulu, Uganda in 1961 and worked together at St. Mary’s-Hospital Lacor for 35 years. In that time, the hospital went from a small outpatient unit with 40 beds to a 450-bed facility treating 150,000 patients per year before Lucille passed away in 1996 from AIDS, which she contracted from operating on one of her patients.
For over 75 years, Vancouver’s Shaughnessy Hospital served veterans and civilians of British Columbia, providing medical care and rehabilitation services, and becoming a research and teaching centre. Library and Archives Canada’s photos and other records of the hospital document this evolving role, with images including patient care and rehabilitation, buildings and equipment, and staff and volunteers.
The hospital opened in 1917 as a convalescent home for First World War veterans. By 1919 it had increased its capacity for medical services and patient care to become a military hospital.Continue reading