Shaughnessy Hospital – dedication and innovation in war and peace

For over 75 years, Vancouver’s Shaughnessy Hospital served veterans and civilians of British Columbia, providing medical care and rehabilitation services, and becoming a research and teaching centre. Library and Archives Canada’s photos and other records of the hospital document this evolving role, with images including patient care and rehabilitation, buildings and equipment, and staff and volunteers.

The hospital opened in 1917 as a convalescent home for First World War veterans. By 1919 it had increased its capacity for medical services and patient care to become a military hospital.

A black-and-white photograph of uniformed men and nurses seated in front of an elaborate Elizabethan entrance.

Original staff of Shaughnessy Military Hospital – [1919?], copied 1952 (MIKAN 4826816)

Continue reading