Library and Archives Canada is in the process of extracting from outdated storage devices, and then preserving, the datasets of studies undertaken by federal departments. The studies covering a wide range of topics, such as the environment, health and immigration, are being made available on the Open Data portal. To learn more about the structure of the data see our blog Open Data: Providing access to historical Government of Canada studies.
Here is a summary of the datasets we have made available over the past few months. Curious about what these studies discovered? Check them out on the Open Data portal
- Longitudinal study of immigrants – 1969–1971 arrivals
This longitudinal study investigated the economic and social adaptation of immigrants to life in Canada.
- Canadian airmen of the First World War
This file includes personnel information for all traceable Canadian airmen who served in the First World War in the British flying services.
- Results of Canadian Federal Elections 1974, 1979, 1980, 1984, 1988
These files contain the voting records for each polling station, electoral district and province for all candidates in Canadian federal elections.
- Canadians and Work
These studies were undertaken in the 1970s and relate to Canadians and work. They include national surveys undertaken to assess job satisfaction and work ethic, Public Service Staff Relations Board pay-rate surveys and an employment study assessing the employment adjustment processes of Canadian graduates in the physical sciences.
- Environment – Fire and Water
- The Test fire, fuel moisture and weather observations datasets contain information collected between 1931 and 1961 about weather, fuel moisture and test fire behaviour measurements for eleven field stations across Canada.
- The 1968-1979 Canadian Oceanographic Identification Centre dataset includes taxonomic data used to produce group, genus, and species catalogues for the Arctic, Atlantic and Pacific freshwater areas.
- The St. Lawrence River studies were undertaken between 1974 and 1976 to describe the water properties, pollution levels and sediment quality of the St. Lawrence River.